Quickview with Spacebar

A place to find NeoFinder support questions and answers
Roger

Quickview with Spacebar

Post by Roger »

Good morning!

Just registered Neofinder, and I love it. The features and the speed are just amazing! But there is something I don't understand.

I use NeoFinder to have a list of files on my backup hard drives. Let's say I am looking for the content in an archived PDF contract with a customer I get a list of results, which in my case are a lot, maybe 100 files or more.To find the correct file, I need to preview it.

If the disk of this catalog is connected, I can press spacebar to preview the file, and maybe go to the last page to check the signature date or to see the changes history of the document. If the disk is safe locked in my bank safe deposit box, I cannot use the spacebar, although a preview of the file is there. Now you can say, just switch to icon view and you can see the preview, but Neofinder looses focus on the file, so I have to find the file again.

1. Is it possible in any way, to use spacebar to preview a file, which is on another drive?
2. Is it possible, to read all the text content of PDF files? I changed the number of characters to 2.00, what is the maximum here?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Roger
neo-admin
Site Admin

Re: Quickview with Spacebar

Post by neo-admin »

Hello,

the spacebar simply calls the QuickLook feature of macOS itself, so that only works with files that are online.

For photos, just use the built-in NeoFinder Light Table instead, this will show you the thumbnail of the NeoFinder Catalog instead for offline files:

https://www.cdfinder.de/guide/8/8.13/light_table.html
Roger

Post by Roger »

Well, I wasn't talking about photos, i talk about PDFs. Also, Light Table is only available when the medium is connected. As I stated in my questions, the backup drives are in a different place, so I cannot connect them Also, what is the use of an archive catalog, when I have to gett all the backup drived and connect them to preview a file? Hope I made the problem clear.

1. Why is it not possible to press spacebar? The preview is already there, I can see it when I click the small screen icon, but then Neofinder loses focus on this file and I need to scroll through to find it. Not helpful. Clearly a glitch in usability.

2. No answer to my question number 2.
neo-admin
Site Admin

Post by neo-admin »

The Light Table in NeoFinder also works with the thumbnails stored in the catalogs, as I wrote.

So it also works for offline items.

As the space bar opens Apples QuickLook it cannot work if the file you want to see if not available, as QuickLook in macOS only works with files that are available.

"2.00" is not a valid integer number. You want to use something like 65000, as described in the NeoFinder Users Guide:

https://www.cdfinder.de/guide/21/neofin ... _text.html
Roger

Post by Roger »

It should be 2.000 (twothousand), sorry for the typo, but nw I know that 65000 is possible :-).

Thanks a lot for your help!