Adding "selected keywords" to files is overwriting all existing keywords

A place to find NeoFinder support questions and answers
TJ Asher

Adding "selected keywords" to files is overwriting all existing keywords

Post by TJ Asher »

Using the latest version I just updated 8.5.2.

I use this for keywording photographs and RAW files.

If I select a file or group of files and then use the Keywords window to select one or more keywords and double-click to Add selected keywords to files the selected keywords are added to the selected files, but the existing keywords are wiped out!

I followed the suggestion to export all assigned keywords from iView/Media Pro into files to get a head-start on keywording in NeoFinder but if it wipes out all original keywords this is not helpful.

How should I add keywords to multiple files that already have some keywords? I have hundreds of thousands of photos to categorize.

Cheers!
TJ
neo-admin
Site Admin

Re: Adding "selected keywords" to files is overwriting all existing keywords

Post by neo-admin »

Hello,

we cannot reproduce this here. Double clicking a keyword in the Controlled Vocabulary list adds it to all selected, eligible, files, and won't overwrite existing values.

Please send us some screenshots by email to our support with more details.

Thanks.

Also, you can use the XMP Editor in the NeoFinder Inspector directly, and edit your keywords in the Keywords field there directly.

Or use the context menu for a keyword in the Controlled Vocabulary, to add it to the selected files...
TJ Asher

Post by TJ Asher »

Email has been sent to support@cdfinder.de with 7 screenshots showing this issue.

I can reproduce this pretty much at will and not with just double-clicking the keyword from the keyword list. This happens to me when all files are selected and I manually type a new keyword that is on my list into the XMP editor and hit enter.

Some environment notes:
Catalog has 194,275 photos.
Mac Studio M1 Max - 64GB RAM 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura 13.6.1
Photos are in folders by date on a Synology DS1821+ NAS with 20GB RAM and 48TB storage in RAID6 configuration.
TJ Asher

Post by TJ Asher »

Adding information here for others.

It appears when I migrated my Media Pro catalog and exported the keywords some (many or most) of the files had the keywords embedded in the RAW file so XMP files were not created.

When importing and adding the files to a catalog, NeoFinder can see and read and show the keywords in the RAW files. No problems there.

BUT, when adding new keywords NeoFinder seems to only use XMP files and once an XMP file is created for the files it only looks at those files and no longer sees the keywords embedded inside the RAW file.

I have confirmed the RAW files still contain the keywords after applying a new keyword in NewFinder and having an XMP file created.

Note that in order for you to see the keywords in the MoreInfo window in Finder you need to have the file on a local drive or Finder appears to not read this info. That's a fault of macOs, not NeoFinder, since NeoFinder DOES see and display those embedded keywords initially until you create an XMP file.

If I delete the XMP file that was created and force NeoFinder to update the metadata for the file the original keywords still embedded in the file are displayed again.

I'm not sure how to manage this moving forward.

Cheers!
TJ
Last edited by TJ Asher on Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
neo-admin
Site Admin

Post by neo-admin »

Hello,

what is NewView oder NeoView?

Embedding the old format IPTC keywords directly in CR2 RAW files is not really a good idea, use the old iView to write the modern industry standard XMP sidecar files instead. That will make everything a lot easier in the long run.