Updating only a selected folder in an existing catalog?

A place to find NeoFinder support questions and answers
Mel Matsuoka

Updating only a selected folder in an existing catalog?

Post by Mel Matsuoka »

I have an 18 TB archive drive that I periodically update with new files. Because this is a true "Archive" drive, I'm only ever adding or modifying a few specific folders on the drive, and dont need/want to reindex the entire drive because it takes a super long time (I index the contents of .zip files and FileCheck checksums)

I was thinking it would be a nice option to allow for updating only a selected folder in an existing catalog, so that you dont have to reindex the entire drive. Of course I'm not sure the best way to handle situations where new folders appear on the root of the volume, but maybe there can be a "compare before indexing" sort of option?

I got to thinking that backup/sync tools like ChronoSync can do incremental backups by comparing the destination with the source, and only backs up folders/files which have been changed since the last sync operation. So maybe NeoFinder can implement a similar method of updating catalogs?
neo-admin
Site Admin

Re: Updating only a selected folder in an existing catalog?

Post by neo-admin »

Hello!

At this time, you can Update an entire Catalog.

Depending on the layout of the data in folders, we recommend cataloging top level folders instead, if the drive is very large:

https://www.cdfinder.de/guide/11/11.1/f ... oging.html